25 January, 2009

The Sun Rises

I wrote this one this morning while waiting for the connection from Auckland to Sydney.


I'm the furthest from hom that I've ever been and waiting to go further. I was expecting more of a Lord of the Rings moment like when Sam Gamgee steps out of a field and tearfully says something like, "One more step and it's the furthest I've ever been!" Aside from the "I'm (pooping/dancing/thumb warring/etc) in NEW ZEALAND!" moments, it's been less climatic than I was expecting (the distance, not the arrival, it was fantastic)--not that I'm complaining. We didn't have to take our shoes off to go through security this time, yay!

It's about 6ish and the sun is rising. I do like sun rises. It's muggy and I'm not dressed for it at all. A girl walked by in a San Fransisco sweatshirt and a Burger King Crown, it made me smile.

The sun has risen more and I am happier still, we are facing some hills bathed in pink light with the ocean just behind. Basically, I love everything.

The 13 hour flight went very, very well. I slept well and for a normal amount of time, was well fed, and enjoyed a variety of in flight entertainment, including a documentary on New Zild (the New Zealand language). It turns out that there are three distinct kiwi accents. I feel a little lame because I can't for the life of me distinguish between them. Oh well.

Much later, while on the flight between Auckland and Sydney, I watched a really, really great documentary about Colossal Squid. Look up that animal and be impressed--it's almost as good as Vampire Squids...from Hell!

No comments:

Post a Comment