07 March, 2009

Morning hike in Akoroa

Saturday morning dawned just as bright, sunny, and wonderful as Friday. After figuring out afternoon plans, I wandered off.
I thought I found a trail to wander on, unfortunately after going up at about a 179 degree angle, I decided that it really seemed more like private property and I should probably go. I did however find and get to photograph a really big bee.


Instead, I managed to find my way to the Akoroa Light house, I think it might be called Godfrey's Light, but it is possible and very likely that I am making that up.


As a quite side note, Lucy the Scabby Tabby has just seen it fit to sit across my chest and shoulder as I lay here typing on my bed, thus immobilizing my right arm and serving to block my vision entirely. She is quite the tart like that and will be moved shortly. I am typing with my left hand, in case you were wondering.

Alright, so I'm in the vicinity of what may or may not be Godfrey's Light. It's lovely. Many of you are familliar with my fascination with lighthouses, and this was no exception. I continued walking and was lucky enough to briefly glimpse a kingfisher, unfortunately, I was not quick to draw and failed to make the shot. I eventually reached the literal end of the road and was told in Maori and English that to proceed past that point would ensure a lifetime of extra limbs sprouting, three-eyed children, and an early, cancerous death due to the waste that was being pumped into the ocean just past that point. Apparently it was fine to kayak in though--go team!

I decided to spend the rest of my morning sunning myself on the beach and maybe, just maybe, going for a swim. Shortly after I got set up, a shephard arrived with three sheep. Though I understand that there are several billions of sheep in this country, I did not expect to run into any at that particular moment, and was quite shocked. So I took pictures. I also saw a woman, who I believe to be the world's happiest pregnant woman. She glowed with happy, kissed her partner cutely and frequently, and rubbed her belly often as she wadded into the water.


Eventually, Lauren and Andria joined me, we read, we soaked up cancerous, but warm rays, and we even dipped our toes, and I the entire rest of my body, into the ocean. Friends, for a time, I was literally covered in a thin, salty, wonderful layer of Pacific Ocean.

No comments:

Post a Comment