13 March, 2009

A highway shall be there

I have learned something very important while staying here; where there is a will, there's a way. I spent Saturday with some fantastic mushers who were kind enough to pick me up from home and drop me off so that they could share the sport with me.

After a lunch of KFC--not one of the fastfood chains I would have expected to find here--they took me out and introduced me to their pony, pigs, malamutes and siberians. They also show the dogs, so they were really quite fancy. It was weird though, as they lamented the fact that they couldn't breed their best lead dog because her eyes were goofy--marbled like Riggs' or Starbuck's, if you know either of those dogs. I don't really get dog shows, I suppose.

Jess, their three year old daughter, is the most articulate anklebiter I've ever met. She even started getting the scooters hooked up for the run! Apparently, she's old enough to "race" by riding a rig with her parents, but they've decided that she has to be able to control her own scooter sans dog first.

The actual ride was fantastic! I just had one dog--Stormy--hooked to the front, and we flew down the gravel road. It did occur to me that it would be horribly painful if I feel and was dragged--much worse than being dragged in the snow, which I have perfected into a graceful artform. Fortunately, it was much easier to keep balance than I thought it would be and I did not even come close to maiming myself.

The time came to head home. Unfortunately, the road was blocked by the neighbor's cows who had escaped. I got to drive a car, and with Nathan, managed to herd them home. It was a good time.


No comments:

Post a Comment