07 March, 2009

I am Poseidon

White shags, black shags, big shags spotted shags, little shags, pied shags, plain shags, red shags, blue shags. So much shagging, I should have had to show ID to get in. I had a fantastic time kayaking in Akoroa. I like birds and I got to see plenty of fantastic birds--the above mentioned comorants, white fronted terns, and at least three different kinds of gull. It was a beautiful, warm, sunny day--the perfect day to be out on the ocean in my swimsuit.

The kayak rental company was a fairly neat little outfit and very well run. I was surprised when I didn't have to sign any sort of safety waiver, nor was I asked if I had ever kayaked before, or any sort of safety briefing. However, we were given a weather briefing and told how the tide would be affecting us--so that was really more useful anyhow.


Hector's Dolphin--a small dolphin endemic to New Zealand is found in the bay we were playing in. Unfortunately, due to the tides and our time constraints, we weren't able to find any, however the crew that went in the morning spent a good five minutes in the presence of two. I guess I'll just have to kayak there again before I leave. Life is hard.

After Andria, Lauren, and I had a bit of a splash fight, we had to run to catch the bus, and rode back to Christchurch a bit damp and awfully salty. Good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment