20 February, 2009

The Last Kid Picked

We were all on edge about meeting our host families and re-assimilating to “home life.” As a result, we were generally crabby and in our own worlds. We arrived back at the University, tearfully said our goodbyes to Greg, the best bus driver ever, and went inside to figure out what the heck was going on.

We finally figured out our official classes; Environmental Policy, New Zealand Society and Culture, and Field Biology with Dr. J. Environmental Ethics will be a series of seminars in April, and there we are. Then we waited.

Slowly at first, and then in droves we were picked up and whisked away to our new homes. By "we" I mean them. It finally came down to Heidi and me. We decided that the whole situation was like a farm advertising free kittens, and we simply weren't cute enough. We hoped that instead of being put into a sack and being thrown into a river, we'd just be given dorm rooms, and then her family came. Just Dr. J and I sitting in a room with the program coordinator and the home stay coordinator. I was nervous and wasn't much for conversation, so we all awkwardly tried to avoid looking at eachother. The seconds seemed like hours seemed like aeons and passed.

Finally, probably just a minute or two after Heidi left, a petite woman with a kind face and short hair came in and before we shook hands, Dr. J had left. We grabbed my stuff and off we were in a little white boxy car, sized somewhere between the Dae Woo and the aveo.

I really had, and still have, trouble grasping which side to get into a car on; I can do buses and other transportation, it's just the passenger cars. I imagine that I'll have even more trouble when I come back.

No comments:

Post a Comment