18 February, 2009

I still don't know what Milford Sounds like! or, Piopiotahi; check!



Fun fact: Milford sound is improperly named. A sound is formed by rivers, I believe, running into the ocean. A fjiord, like our dear Milford, is formed glacially.




After ages on the road, and what I still believe is interesting scenery (though, I could go from Point to Miami and call everything I see interesting scenery...except for maybe Illinois), we made it to Milford Sound in time for our scheduled cruise. We were the youngest people on board by at least 30 if not closer to 40 years, which, especially after being in Queenstown, was fairly awkward. The boat was gigantic, and not at all what I had expected, and we were given the only not-delicious food I've had since leaving the US. Not-delicious, is an understatement, actually, putrid excriment in a plastic box may be more accurate, actually. Everybody had a sandwich that was spread either with rotten seal fat or compost bin scrapings (the vegetarian option), some blindingly shiny bit of plastic in the shape of an apple, and sundry biscuits that may have been baked at about the time of New Zealand settlement--the Maori, not the Europeans. Fortunately, though, the scenary and the variety of wildlife was worth the skipping of a meal. We even got to peek at the Tasman Sea! I think though, that the rest of the story (mainly, what I saw) is best told in pictures, though.
Are those Fiordland Crested Penguins (Tawaki), Samantha? You do know that it is especially rare to see them this time of year...Yes, friends, I am well aware of that.







Fur Seals!







No comments:

Post a Comment